Utility Resources

Campus and community resources to help students have access to affordable essential utilities such as electricity, heating, cooling, and water. 

Free assistance is available. Meet with the Basic Needs Coordinator: schedule an appointment. 

PG&E Programs

  • CARE Program  
    PG&E has a California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) program which applies a discount of 20% or more to a participant's monthly energy usage bill. Participants qualify by meeting income requirements or by being enrolled in certain public assistance programs. To apply for the CARE program, fill out the  CARE/FERA Program application  

  •   FERA Program  
    PG&E also has a Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) program that has slightly higher income requirements than the CARE program, but is only for families of three or more. To apply for the FERA program, fill out the  CARE/FERA Program application .
  •   REACH Program
    PG&E has a Relief for Energy Assistance through Community Help (REACH) program that helps pay for energy bills during a crisis. REACH provides an energy financial credit up to $300. People can only utilize REACH assistance once per every 12 months and must have received either a 15-day or 48-hour disconnection notice from PG&E. Customer must also meet income requirements.
    Visit  A Servants Heart Ministry  webpage to learn more about this program. To apply, fill out the  REACH Program Application.  

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides federally funded assistance in managing costs associated with home energy bills, energy crises, weatherization and energy-related minor home repairs. This program provides up to $1000 in financial assistance to pay your eligible household energy costs including your bill for heating, cooling, and home weatherization expenses.   
For more information about receiving help for energy bills, Tuolumne County residents can call (209) 533-1397 extension 250 or extension 287 and Amador and Calaveras County residents can call (209) 223-1485 extension 259 or extension 290.   
To apply, visit the  Home Energy Assistance Program web page.   

ATCAA Water Bill Assistance

Amador Tuolumne Action Agency (ATCAA) offers a Water Bill Assistance program available for Amador, Calaveras, and Tuolumne County residents.   
Qualifications: Client applying must be the account holder on the bill. A family member cannot be the account holder unless they also reside in the home. Client applying for water bill assistance must also sign up for the  Energy Assistance Program  
The  Water Bill Assistance application  can be submitted through email or by mail.   


Interfaith receives donations of wood for clients who meet guidelines and are in need of wood to heat their residences. This service is only for Tuolumne County residents. For more information on how to sign up for this assistance, please call (209) 532-0905.  

OU Campus Login