MEOC is here to help you meet your educational goals. Please review this list of helpful links. If you need further information, please contact us.
High School Diploma / GED
- Columbia College GED High School Equivalency Certificate
- California Department of Education High School Equivalency Tests (HSET)
- Adult Education Provider Directory
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Find out if you have to claim your parent's income
- Find out about the Federal guidelines for identifying your parent(s)
- Review the FAQs for reporting parent's income
- For Tips and Tricks for filling out FAFSA
- For more financial aid links, staff and office contact information
Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver
The BOG fee waiver is available to California Community College students who meet certain income requirements. It waives the per-unit enrollment fee at any California Community College. When you apply for FAFSA, the BOG fee waiver application is included. If you are under a time constraint, you can always file your BOG fee waiver separately. However, please be advised that state income guidelines are much more strict than Federal income guidelines. So, if you complete a stand-alone BOG application and do not qualify, it is a good idea to see if you meet the federal guidelines.
CalGrant is for students with exceptional financial need. When a student files their FAFSA before the CalGrant deadline, they will be considered for this grant. The deadline for 2020-2021 is March 2, 2021 . In order to be considered for the grant, applicants must also submit a Certified Grade Point Average (GPA) Verification Form. Undocumented students should complete a Certified Grade Point Average (GPA) Verification Form for individuals who do not have a social security number. The deadline for the GPA verification is also March 2, 2021.
Federal Pell Grant
Federal Pell Grants are usually only granted to undergraduate students. The amount of aid a student can receive depends on their financial need, the cost of attendance at the school they wish to attend, and more.
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a grant for undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. The student must complete the FAFSA so that the college can determine how much financial need the student has.
The California Dream Act allows students who meet certain requirements to apply for and receive state financial aid at California public and private colleges and private scholarships administered by California public colleges including: eligibility for assistance from EOPS, CARE and Calworks; BOG Fee Waivers, and Cal Grants.
- Attended a California high school for a minimum of three years and is considered to be AB540
- Graduated from a California high school or passed the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or got a General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Enrolled in a accredited and qualified California college or university
- Filled out an affidavit to legalize immigration status as soon as eligible
Deferred Action (DACA)
DACA is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals - A Department of Homeland Security policy change in how it exercises its authority.
- Came to the US before reaching 16th birthday
- Continuously resided in the US from June 15, 2007 up to the present
- Was under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012
- Entered the US without inspection before June 15, 2012 or his/her lawful immigration status -expired as of June 15, 2012
- Is currently in school, has graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, has obtained a GED or is an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the US
- Has not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more misdemeanors, and does not otherwise pose a threat to the community or national security
- Was present in the United States on June 15, 2012 and has not left the country since
Columbia College Promise Eligibility*
MEOC staff can support all local High School Seniors and Adult Education Graduates to complete the steps to receive two years of free tuition at Columbia College. Columbia Promise Eligibility Checklist
*MEOC staff support to learn about and start ANY college is not limited to Columbia College.
Please apply for MEOC services HERE. Our services are provided free-of-charge, throughout five counties. Call or email our friendly and professional staff to find out if we will be in your area soon!