What is an Educational Plan?
An Educational Plan (Ed Plan) lists all the courses, prerequisites included, to attain your academic or vocational goal. In creating an education plan, the counselor will review with you all courses that you've completed and will need to complete for your specific goal. You will need to provide transcripts if you've attended colleges other than Columbia/MJC.
What can an Ed Plan do for me?
An Ed Plan will ensure that you are taking the appropriate classes for your goal, and that courses are taken in the appropriate sequences and available offerings. It helps you to have a clear vision of the courses you need to take and when to take them. Goals that an Ed Plan can help you to achieve are:
- Associates in Arts or Science for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T)
- Associate of Arts (AA) or Associates of Science (AS)
- Transfer to University
- Certificate of Achievement
- Skills Attainment Certificate
How can I get an Ed Plan?
Before you schedule an Ed Plan appointment, make sure you have:
- Obtained a copy of your High School transcript
- A clear educational goal, major, occupational, certificate or skills attainment
- If transfer to university is part of your goal, you need to have an idea of where you want to transfer
- Submit official transcripts from all institutions you have attended
- Review Columbia College Catalog. Specifically, course selections for general education requirements so that you can make choices based on your preferences.
- After completing your Ed Plan with a Counselor you can retrieve a copy by logging into Starfish.
Given the time involved in good educational planning, a one hour counseling appointment is required. Call the Counseling office at 209-588-5109 to schedule.