The Columbia College Apprenticeship Initiative is a grant-funded program that supports the development and implementation of new and innovative apprenticeship and pre-apprenticeship models. These programs support the local workforce and provide educational opportunities to current and future Columbia College students.
Fire Science Pre-Apprenticeship
Interested in a career in firefighting? The Fire Science Pre-Apprenticeship is designed to provide an introduction to careers in fire science through hands-on experiences, workshops, field trips, and more. After completing the Pre-Apprenticeship and the Columbia College Fire Academy, either simultaneously or consecutively, participants will have the opportunity to apply to Cal-JAC, the state's only registered apprenticeship in firefighting. The Fire Science Pre-Apprenticeship is open to everyone ages 14 and up.
How to Apply
- Fill out the application, print, sign, and send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org or 11600 Columbia College Dr., Sonora, CA 95370
- Call 209-588-5269 for questions!
Apprentices have the opportunity to complete coursework at Columbia College while working as paid apprentices at one of our approved apprenticeship employers, resulting in a Certified Apprentice certification through the California Division of Apprenticeship Standards as well as Certificates of Achievement and/or Skills Attainment Certificates through Columbia College. Students will be set up for career advancement and/or higher education at Columbia College and beyond.
Current Apprenticeship Programs:
A two-year program that results in an Associate Teacher Permit and a Certificate of Completion as a Registered Apprentice through the Division of Apprenticeship Standards. Apprentices work as aides, assistants, or associate teachers in infant, toddler, or preschool classrooms or elementary after-school programs and are strongly encouraged to pursue additional coursework toward an Associate of Science Degree in Early Childhood Education.
A two-year program that results in a Skills Attainment Certificate in the Management and Restoration of Fire-Adapted Ecosystems as well as a Certificate of Completion as a Registered Apprentice through the Division of Apprenticeship Standards. Apprentices work as Forest Conservation Technicians and are given the opportunity to take additional coursework toward Certificates of Achievement and/or an Associate of Science Degree.
At this time, all Hospitality Management apprentice openings have been filled, but we are still accepting applications.
Benefits of Participation
- Hands-on work experience while attending college
- Paid on-the-job training
- Tuition and fees paid (after financial aid is applied)
- Textbooks provided for apprenticeship-specific courses
- Program staff available for support
How to Apply
- First, apply to the Apprenticeship Initiative by downloading the CCAI Application. E-mail your completed application to email@example.com or contact program staff at 209-588-5252 for hard copies and/or assistance.
- Apply to one of our approved employer partners - contact program staff for application instructions.
- Apply for Columbia College at www.gocolumbia.edu/admissions/
- Apply for Financial Aid at www.gocolumbia.edu/financial_aid/