Guidelines for Chosen Name, Preferred Pronouns, and Gender Identity
Recognizing that many students use a chosen name (preferred name), pronoun(s), and/or gender identity other than the identify legal ones, Columbia College offers the option of selecting a chosen name, pronoun, and/or gender identity within many of our systems. Columbia College extends this service in order to help foster a more welcoming, supportive, and respectful campus climate for all students.
- The chosen first name is not a legal name change. Students who are legally changing their name should complete the Personal Information Update form on the Student Forms page.
- Inappropriate use of a chosen name, including, but not limited to, misrepresentation or attempting to avoid a legal obligation, may be cause for denying a student’s use of the name.
- The chosen name will appear in many college internal locations, including your student email will change- see below for details on all name change locations.
How to update your Chosen Name, Preferred Pronoun(s), and/or Gender Identity
- Log into ConnectColumbia with your YCCD (yosemite.edu) student email and password
- From the Main Menu, select the "Update Contact Information" link (under the User Account heading on the left side of menu)
- Select "Edit Personal Identity" button.
- Save your updates. (additional changes can be made at any time, but a new email/log-in name will be issued EACH time the first name is changed). All of your email content and history will remain the same regardless of the name change.
All Student Services staff are able to assist students with this process as needed. Please see below for additional resources and support.
Changes may take up to 72 business hours to take effect. Contact the YCCD IT Service desk staff if you have technology related questions. IT Service Desk -
Chosen Name/Pronouns will appear:
*IT is currently working on updating processes for Student ID cards. We thank you for your understanding while we work to update all student facing systems.
Legal name will appear:
Student Privacy Concerns
Consistent with the Family Educational Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA), Columbia College allows for the release of directory information. Chosen name is not included as part of directory information. Members of the Columbia College community will have access to view chosen name.
Students may also request to withhold disclosure of directory information altogether. Directory information may be disclosed by the college unless students provide written requests to the Admissions and Records Office preventing the disclosure of their directory information.
Know Your Resources & Rights
Students have a right to file a grievance if they feel they are experiencing harassment or discrimination. Refer to the following policies related to student rights, standards for conduct, and navigating the complaint process.
YCCD Policy 5530 Student Rights and Grievances
YCCD Policy 5500 Standards of Student Conduct
LGBTQ+ Student Support
Students that would like to connect with campus support for the LGBTQ+ community can contact the GSA club advisor Anneka Rogers Whitmer at 209-588-5145 or firstname.lastname@example.org or our Mental Health Coordinator Tamara Oxford for personalized support at 209-588-5346 or email@example.com.
last updated 1/31/22 at 4:00 PM