We create challenges that connect to the natural world through experiential learning in the high Sierra. We transform lives.
To be the most dynamic learning experience in the Sierra Nevada.
- Foster the healthy growth of our students within a natural environmental setting in the following confluent educational domains (holistic approach): 1) cognitive; 2) affective; and 3) psychomotor;
- Foster cooperative research ventures between government and academia;
- Apply the principles of sustainability, using green technology, to minimize our impact on the earth’s environment, through teaching, facility design, and other means;
- Produce research data involving the natural, social, historical, cultural, and other features of the Central Sierra Nevada region;
- Support the historical preservation of the facility;
- Promote environmental literacy (reduce incidence of “Nature Deficit Disorder” among the public);
- Promote activities that support technical education (GPS field data collection; GIS analyses, digital video, digital imagery, use of computers in the field, etc.);
- Promote activities that support physical education;
- Foster the generation of creative endeavors (i.e. inspired by natural setting) such as art, writing, photography, music, etc.; and
- Promote shared stewardship of public lands.