When a course section (class) fills, you can place yourself on a wait list as long as you have satisfied any prerequisites. However, you cannot be enrolled in a class section and also be on a wait list for the same course that meets at a different time, so choose your course sections carefully! When you place yourself on a wait list, it means that the course section you have chosen has reached its seat capacity; you are now waiting to enroll in the event that any seats become available or the instructor allows for additional students.
You are not guaranteed a seat in the class when you are on a wait list. The process is not automatic. If a seat becomes available during registration, you will be notified via your student email. Once you receive this email notification, you will have 5 days to register for the class. If you do not register within 5 days, you will be dropped from the wait list.
You are not charged for a class until you have registered for the class via connectColumbia or in the Admissions & Records Office. You are only permitted to be on one wait list at a time in any given subject (i.e. one English 1A section, or one Math 104 section, etc.).
What to do if you are on a wait list*:
- If you do not receive a notification email to add the class, you MUST attend the first class meeting with an ADD slip found in Counseling or Admissions & Records Offices.
- Tell the instructor that you are on the wait list for the class and you would like an access code (add code).
- If your request is granted, the instructor will give you an access code and sign the ADD slip. You must register for the course within 3 days of the instructor signing the ADD slip.
- Check to make sure that the instructor has provided you with the correct access code for the section. The system will not allow you to register without this information.
- Using connectColumbia, you may then register for the course. connectColumbia will prompt you to provide the special access code. Keep the access code for your records.
* If you are on a wait list and decide not to add the class, drop yourself from the wait list.
What to do if you are wait listed for an online course:
- On the first day of the semester, submit an Electronic Add Card through connectColumbia. Select "Current Students", Log-in, and select "E-Add Card Request (Online Courses)" under the registration category.
- When you've submitted the card, the instructor will e-mail you to notify you if you have been accepted into the course. Then add the course through connectColumbia to officially enroll in the class.
Please note: If you put your name on a wait list while the prerequisite class is in progress, and after that time, you earned a D, F, or No Pass, you will not be permitted to add the class.