Getting Started with Online Learning
Columbia College currently uses the Blackboard Learn 9.1 Course Management System. We will be moving to a new Course Management System, Canvas. By summer 2017 all courses will be in Canvas. Many of your instructors may be using a course management system as an enhancement in their face to face classes. Check the schedule to see what Course Management System your course will be taught in.
Check out a Closed Captioned short tutorial (~26 min) to help you get started!
How to Log in to Blackboard
To log into Blackboard you will need to use your student ID number (starts with a lower-case w). Your initial password is your six-digit birth date, mmddyy. (Ex. 041765) Once you log in you can change your password by clicking on your name or person icon in the top right hand corner, locate Settings, Personal Information, Change Password. If you need assistance with Blackboard call the Blackboard Help Desk at 209.575.7900.
How to Log in to Canvas
If your course is being taught in Canvas check out the Canvas Resource page for log in information.
Each fall, spring and summer semesters the Instructional Technology Center will host Blackboard and Canvas drop-in training.
NOTE: Online classes will be available 5 days before the beginning of each semester. For late starting classes, access will be available 5 days before the late start date.
Need to Know Technology Skills
Check out these Online Readiness Tutorials! These are interactive tutorials from online learning success to financial planning.
Try these two Assessments to find out if Online Learning is right for you?
Check out the "Need to Know" Technology Skills Tutorials
- Saving Files in Different File Formats (video tutorial)
- Resizing An Image for Your Profile (written tutorial)
- Saving a RTF file (video tutorial)
- Downloading and Uploading Attachments (video tutorial)
- Copy and Paste (written tutorial)
- Attaching/Uploading a File to An Assignment (written tutorial)
Additional Student Resources
- College Online Learning Help Desk - It is important to know who to contact for technical help and assistance for your online classes. The Online Learning Help Desk (shared with MJC) is available for technical assistance. Contact your instructor if you have non-technical class related questions.
- Online Student Success - There are a variety of resources available to help you become a successful online student. If you would like to know more, check out the Online Student Handbook available for you to find out what skills and technical requirements are typically required to become a successful online student.
- Computer and Browser Compatibility Requirements - It is important to ensure your browser is up to date and compatible with Blackboard and Canvas for maximized functionality. Check out the computer requirements for Blackboard and Canvas.
- Instructional Technology Center - If you are new to online learning, each semester we offer face to face orientations. The Instructional Technology Center is also available for faculty, staff and students to drop or call in for help.
- Academic Achievement Center - The Academic Achievement Center serves the entire Columbia College student body. Their primary goal is to assist students in becoming more independent, efficient, and effective learners. They are here to help students improve their academic skills and aid in their academic success.
- Online Counseling - Check out the online counseling services if you are an online student and would like to talk with a counselor.
- Waitlists for Online Classes - On the first day of the semester with the exception of late starting classes, if you are on the waitlist you will need to go to the E-Add Card - Adding an Online Class web page, locate the class and instructor, send them a request to be added and wait for a response. The instructor must provide you with a 4 digit add code in order to enroll in the class. Instructors are not obligated to take every student on the waitlist.
- Office 365 and Email - Office 365 is available for free to all Columbia College students. You can access office applications for PCs or Macs and on other mobile devices, including Windows tablets and iPad®. Log into your YCCD email to get started!
- College Buys - College Buys at http://www.collegebuys.org/ offers deep discounts on software, hardware and online & DVD training. As a faculty and student member, you are eligible for discounts on industry-leading software and technology to high quality office and classroom furniture.
Other Student Support Resources
- Academic Integrity Information
- Disabled Students Programs and Services
- Columbia College Bookstore
- Turnitin Student Manual