Let's Get Started with Canvas
Instructors: If you are a new Instructor and would like a Canvas sandbox to practice with email the DE Coordinator, Melissa Colón at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step by Step Instructions to log into Canvas:
- Go to https://gocolumbia.instructure.com/login/canvas
- Click on "Forgot Password?"
- Fill in the form with your YCCD email
- Check your YCCD email for your Instructure password
- Enter information for creating your password
- Go back to the Canvas Login
- Type in your Canvas username, the same way as your YCCD Email username (last name, first initial)
- Contact the DE Coordinator at 209.588.5092 or email@example.com.
- Ask your Admin Secretary to post an online link to Canvas in the schedule.
- Email Blast your students with pre-class information.
- Check out the Instructional Technology Center for support.
- Online Learning Help Desk - 209.588.5383 M-F 8a-5p
- Columbia Canvas Support - 844.243.8405-M-F 5p-8a Evening & Weekends.
- Check out the Canvas Instructor Guides and Canvas Student Guides.
- Learn more with this Canvas Getting Started Quick Guide.
- Check out the Canvas Teacher App in the App Store
Canvas Tutorials - Time Savers
Training and Workshops
All instructors teaching fully online or hybrid courses are required to be take EDUC 50 or provide proof of previous approved training.
- Spring 2/12/18-4/21/18 - LATE START - EDUC 50- Online Course Development & EDUC 52 - Universal Design for Online Course Development (To find out more about Professional Development, check out the IEC Web page)
- Self-Paced @ONE Course: Introduction to Teaching with Canvas
- A Variety of @ONE Webinars and Training
- Free Access to Lynda.com for California Community Colleges - Lynda.com is available for all California Community College employees at no cost. To learn more, watch the introductory movie about the service, and watch How to use Lynda.com.
Course Development Resources
- Online Course Design Rubric
- Online Course Design Rubric Checklist
- Rules of Engagement for NetTutor
- Explanation of ROE for NetTutor
- OEI Student Success Handbook for Using NetTutor Services
- Open Educational Resources
- Best Practices for Creating Accessible Word Documents
- Columbia Colleges Faculty Distance Education Handbook
- The Teach Act- Fair Use and Copyright Information (from ALA)
- Columbia College Distance Education Plan
- California Community College Chancellor's Office - Distance Education
- Updating Faculty Directory Pages
- Open Proctoring Policy