Let's Get Started with Canvas
- Go to https://gocolumbia.instructure.com/login/canvas
- Click on "Forgot Password?"
- Fill in the form with your YCCD email
- Check your YCCD email for your Instructure password
- Enter in information for creating your password
- Your Canvas username will be the same as your YCCD username
Over the course of the next year we will be running Blackboard and Canvas concurrently until we exclusively use Canvas starting summer of 2017. It is going to be important as we transition to Canvas that we notify students in a variety of ways. If you plan to use Canvas for summer 2016 and beyond the following recommendations will be important:
- Let your Admin Secretary know in order for them to post an online link in the semester schedule to direct students to the appropriate CMS information.
- Email Blast your students with information about Canvas.
- Post a notice in your Blackboard Entry Page that the course will be taught in Canvas and provide the Canvas Log Informational Page
TBA - Check Out the Instructional Technology Center for more information.
Online Learning Help Desk - 209.575.7900 M-F 8a-5p & Saturdays 8a-5p - 209.575.6412
Summer Online Help Desk Hours - 7:30-5:30 M-Th 209.575.7900
Columbia College Canvas Support - (844) 243-8405 - Mon-Fri 5pm - 8am & Weekends
Check out the Canvas Instructor Guides
There are many tools and resources to enhance your face to face and online course content using Canvas and instructional technology. Use the links below to take you to a particular resource area. If you are interested in joining an online development cohort or training in instructional technology, contact the Distance Education Coordinator, Melissa Colón, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Training is important when you start creating content in an online environment. Here are a few ways to get involved with instructional technology and online course development training. There are a variety of trainings that takes place through out the year at the college. Ask me about the Instructional Technology Training Opportunities or drop by the Instructional Technology Center located in the Library Building, Tamarack Hall, Rm. 134.
CEDUC-50 2657 Online Course Development - 02/22/16-04/29/16 will be taught in Canvas, our new course management system.
You will find the following resources helpful as you develop online content:
- Online Course Design Rubric with link to checklist - Training and Mentoring
- OEI Student Success Handbook for Using NetTutor Services - Online Tutoring
- Online Education Initiative - Course Design Rubric and Standards (OEI)
- Best Practices for Creating Accessible Word Documents (from Cal Poly)
- Resources for Universal Design and Accessibility
- Columbia Colleges Faculty Distance Education Handbook (revised spr '15)
- The Teach Act- Fair Use and Copyright Information (from Cal State Stanislaus)
- National Standards for Quality Online Teaching
- Columbia College Distance Education Plan (updated fall '15)
- California Community College Chancellor's Office - Distance Education
When you are ready to develop a fully or hybrid online course you will first need to submit a distance education addendum for approval through the Curricunet Link. The Distance Education Coordinator or Curriculum Chair can help with the proposed modification.
We encourage an Open Proctoring Policy at Columbia College in which you, the instructor can allow students to chose an approved proctor and proctoring site (on-campus or an approved proctoring site) if needed for exams in a fully online course.
The Columbia College Distance Education Plan outlines the plans to continue to develop online offerings and online student services.
There are tools available to communicate with all of your students (face to face or online). For example, Columbia College's Student Email Blast is available to send an email blast to all students, in both F2F and online classes. The are many additional tools within Blackboard to communicate and build an exciting online community, strengthening regular and effective communication, 24/7.
The Instructional Technology Channel hosted at the YCCD Media Share site and my channel at YouTube has many custom tutorials for you to check out and get started in developing online content. Blackboard Only.
- Copy Course Procedure
- Editing and Customizing the "Start Here First" Learning Module - 8/14
- Extending Test Times for One Student or a Group of Students - 1/15
- Creating Learning Modules
- Editing a Quiz & Quiz Settings - 8/14
- Lockdown Browser
- Adding A Test Student
- Course Messages Versus Email with Blackboard - 8/14
- Using the Needs Grading Tool - 6/14
- Setting Up A Turnitin Assignment Part 1 & Part 2
- Using the File Manager
- Setting Up A Grade Center
- The Running Total Column
- Creating Accessible Word Documents
- Narrating PowerPoints
- Extending Time For Tests
- Backing Up Courses - 5/14
- Display Combined Sections Separately
- Downloading the Grade Center Into Excel