Getting Started Using Blackboard As An Enhancement
Blackboard 9.1 is the current learning management system. There are many tools and resources to enhance your face to face and online course content using Blackboard and instructional technology. Use the links below to take you to a particular resource area. If you are interested in joining an online development cohort or training in instructional technology, contact the Distance Education Coordinator, Melissa Colon, at email@example.com for more information.
Check Out the Resource Areas
Training is important when you start creating content in an online environment. Here are a few ways to get involved with instructional technology and online course development training. There are a variety of trainings that takes place through out the fall and spring semesters at the college. Ask me about the Instructional Technology Training Opportunities or drop by the Instructional Technology Center located in the Library Building, Tamarack Hall, Rm. 134. See the training schedule links below for more information. The archived links will also be made available on the training schedule.
If you are going to be using Blackboard as an enhancement in your face to face classes you will need to request an enhancement sell. Request link for Enhancement shells . If you are interested in combining sections into one shell follow the steps once you log in.
You will find the following resources helpful as you develop online content:
- Quality Matters and 7 Best Practices Peer Mentor Support Form (revised spr '14)
- Best Practices for Creating Accessible Word Documents (from Cal Poly)
- Resources for Universal Design and Accessibility
- The Teach Act- Fair Use and Copyright Information (from Cal State Stanislaus)
- Course Evaluation: A Tool for Faculty
- National Standards for Quality Online Teaching
- Columbia College Distance Learning Handbook (revised 12/2012)
- Columbia College Distance Education Plan (revised 12/2012)
When you are ready to develop a fully or hybrid online course you will first be submitting a distance education addendum for approval through Curricunet, use the Curricunet Link. The Distance Education Coordinator or Curriculum Chair can help with the proposed modification.
We encourage an Open Proctoring Policy at Columbia College in which you, the instructor can allow students to chose an approved proctor and proctoring site (on-campus or an approved proctoring site) if needed for exams in a fully online course.
The Columbia College Distance Education Plan outlines the plans to continue to develop online offerings and online student services.
There are tools available to communicate with all of your students (face to face or online). For example, Columbia College's Student Email Blast is available to send an email blast to all students, in both F2F and online classes. The are many additional tools within Blackboard to communicate and build an exciting online community, strengthening regular and effective communication, 24/7.
The Instructional Technology Channel hosted at the YCCD Media Share site and my channel at YouTube has many custom tutorials for you to check out and get started in developing online content. Most of the tutorials are "Take 5s" (five minutes or less). Here are some of the most commonly used tools and activities that are important to know.
- Copy Course Procedure
- Editing and Customizing the "Start Here First" Learning Module - 8/14
- Creating Learning Modules
- Editing a Quiz & Quiz Settings - 8/14
- Lockdown Browser
- Adding A Test Student
- Course Messages Versus Email with Blackboard - 8/14
- Using the Needs Grading Tool - 6/14
- Setting Up A Turnitin Assignment Part 1 & Part 2
- Using the File Manager
- Setting Up A Grade Center
- The Running Total Column
- Creating Accessible Word Documents
- Narrating PowerPoints
- Extending Time For Tests
- Backing Up Courses - 5/14
- Display Combined Sections Separately
- Downloading the Grade Center Into Excel
Blackboard provides tutorials on building content areas and the different communication tools on the Blackboard On Demand resource page for both faculty and students. There is also a Blackboard Help for Instructors search tool for specific content areas and topics for .