Let's Get Started with Canvas
- Go to https://gocolumbia.instructure.com/login/canvas
- Click on "Forgot Password?"
- Fill in the form with your YCCD email
- Check your YCCD email for your Instructure password
- Enter in information for creating your password
- Your Canvas username will be the same as your YCCD Email username
If you plan to use Canvas here are some recommended steps and resources:
- Contact the DE Coordinator at 209.588.5092 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ask your Admin Secretary to post an online link to Canvas in the schedule.
- Email Blast your students with pre-class information.
- Check out the Instructional Technology Center for support.
- Online Learning Help Desk - 209.575.7900 M-F 8a-5p
- Columbia Canvas Support - 844.243.8405-M-F 5p-8a & Weekends.
- Check out the Canvas Instructor Guides and Canvas Student Guides.
Training and Workshops
All instructors teaching fully online or hybrid courses are required to be trained or provide proof of previous training. There are a variety of training and workshops that take place throughout the year. Contact the DE Coordinator for more information.
Fall 10/02/17-12/09/17 - LATE START - EDUC 50- Online Course Development & EDUC 51 - Emerging Technologies - taught every fall and spring semesters
Example of an Exemplary Learning Module in Canvas
Self-Paced @ONE Course: Introduction to Teaching with Canvas
Free Access to Lynda.com for California Community Colleges - Lynda.com is available for all California Community College employees at no cost. To learn more, watch the introductory movie about the service, and watch How to use Lynda.com.
Course Development Resources
You will find the following resources helpful as you develop online content:
- Online Course Design Rubric - Training and Mentoring
- Online Course Design Rubric Checklist - Training and Mentoring
- Rules of Engagement for NetTutor - fill-able form and submit
- Explanation of ROE for NetTutor
- OEI Student Success Handbook for Using NetTutor Services - Online Tutoring
- Best Practices for Creating Accessible Word Documents (from Cal Poly)
- Columbia Colleges Faculty Distance Education Handbook (revised spr '15)
- The Teach Act- Fair Use and Copyright Information (from Cal State Stanislaus)
- Columbia College Distance Education Plan (updated fall '15)
- California Community College Chancellor's Office - Distance Education
- Updating Faculty Directory Pages (video tutorial '16)
- Flex-Activity Reporting System Tool (video tutorial '16)
- Open Proctoring Policy
- How to Edit Your Canvas Profile - (video tutorial)
- Extending Time and Multiple Attempts on Quizzes - (video tutorial)
- Managing Discussion Replies - (video tutorial)
- Adding Rubrics to Assignments and Discussions - (video tutorial)
- Saving Grades in Canvas - (video tutorial)