Health & Human Performance
|--Speech Communication||Literature & Language|
Behavioral and Social Sciences courses at Columbia College include Anthropology, Geography, History, Humanities, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, and Speech. Students pursuing coursework in these subjects will benefit from a rich and in-depth experience that can lead to successful transfer to a four-year institution as well as meeting general education requirements for an AA/AS degree.
Students successfully completing courses in these areas will likely be able to:
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of the most significant theories, methods, structures, processes, and institutions associated with Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Critically analyze, evaluate, and articulate established ways of knowing in the Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Demonstrate critical thinking competencies in analyzing competing hypotheses
- Demonstrate competencies associated with 21st century citizenship and adulthood—these competencies include basic awareness of diverse perspectives and their implications— culturally, socially, psychologically, philosophically, historically, and geographically
- Demonstrate ability to engage in and maintain effective approaches to problem solving
Biological and Physical Sciences courses at Columbia College include Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Earth Sciences and Physics. Students pursuing coursework in these subjects will benefit from a rich and in-depth science experience that can lead to successful transfer to a four-year institution as well as meeting general education requirements for an AS degree.
Students will likely:
- Learn how to plan a program of data gathering and analysis that employs modern scientific procedures and the use of modern technology
- Use acquired knowledge of biology and physical science to make informed decisions about problems in society and public policy
- Develop social and professional skills needed to be successful in the modern work place (e.g. communications, working in groups, working with technology)